Poll results: Netizens bicker over Atiku, Obi pairing ahead of 2027 election

Netizens across social media platforms – X, Facebook and Instagram, have lent their voices behind a recently conducted poll seeking their opinions on whether they’d support a presidential ticket of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and an ex-Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi.

The poll follows the news of the visit made by Obi to the former VP at his residence in Abuja on Monday.

Obi, the 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate was a running mate to Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2019 general elections.

However, the duo fell apart and went their separate ways in 2022, leaving Obi to join LP; the second-strongest opposition party in the country.

In a twist of events, Obi met with other PDP chieftains during his ‘Abuja tour,’ in the likes of the former Senate President Bukola Saraki; former Sokoto State Governor, Attahiru Bafarawa, and an ex-Governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido.

The result of the poll on X revealed that 70 per cent of users chose ‘No’ while the remaining 30 per cent affirmed their support on the poll question, ‘Atikulates And Obidients, this poll is for you. In light of the unexpected meeting between Atiku and Obi, would you support a combined Peoples Democratic Party-Labour Party ticket with Atiku as presidential candidate and Obi as vice presidential candidate?’

For those who chose “no”, it’s a mix of either preferring Obi as the presidential candidate and Atiku hisbrunning mate, or the participants don’t want the pairing between the PDP and LP candidates.

A user on X, Victor Wolemonwu, tweeting as #DrVic_Exotic, stated, “Obidients will support the ticket with #PeterObi as the presidential candidate and #atiku as the vice presidential candidate. Alternatively, Atiku can be an elder statesman by supporting Obi and his running mate in 2027. We will forever remember him for his patriotism.”

Another tweep, BIG_BEN with the username #Big_Ben_21 opined that “Atiku should play the big Daddy role in 2027 elections. Anything other than that is not accepted.”

One X user, Olasupo Jakes – BSc (Hons), RPN tweeting as #JakesOlasupo tweeted that “if Obi is not the presidential candidate, forget about it.”

A Facebook user, Joel Peter, stated, “Atiku should step down for Obi. If possible, he should be Obi’s vice or he should go and rest in Dubai, he has tried.”

An Instagram user, #adesina8478, wrote, “Both of them will lose either side. None of them is a presidential material. Quote me.”

A user, diip_z queried, “Why can’t Atiku just rest, assist Obi if you can but don’t run.”

Another user, kemisolaone1 noted, “Will vote them if Obi is the main candidate.”

One user, obd_logistic, opined that “if Obi tries this nonsense, Sowore is the only hope.”

Nigerians compare sparkling ‘prison’ service’ hotel with nation’s infamous dilapidated cells